SIJHSAA 2013-2014 Boys & Girls Basketball Regulations
The SIJHSAA follows National Federation of High Schools (NFHS) Rules. These are the same that are used by the Illinois High School Association (IHSA). NFHS Rules Books may be purchased on the IHSA website (www.ihsa.org). The following are exceptions to the NFHS Rules.
ARTICLE XXIX: BASKETBALL RULES (BOYS & GIRLS)
a) Quarter Length: For SIJHSAA regular season games, the quarters shall be 7 minutes in 8th grade games and 6 minutes in 7th grade games.
b) Overtime Periods: All overtime periods shall be 3 minutes in length.
c) All “B” or “JV” games are designated for students in the 7th grade and below.
d) The SIJHSAA has no jurisdiction over contests below the 7th grade level.
e) 6 Quarter Rule: A player may not play in more than six(6) quarters per night or day….except in tourney play. Over time periods shall be considered extensions of the 4th quarter.
1) Violation of the rule shall be brought to the attention of the game officials by THE OFFICIAL SCOREKEEPER and shall result in a technical foul on the coach and immediate removal of the player involved from the contest.
2) If the player is not removed immediately, the game is forfeited and the coach shall be suspended for one game.
3) The violation shall be reported by both schools to the SIJHSAA office within 24 hours of the violation. (Note: PLACE THIS IN YOUR SCORE BOOK.) Please use common sense when the opposing team simply does not have enough players to avoid violation of this rule.
f) Mercy Rule: THE SIJHSAA HAS NO MERCY RULE IN EFFECT!
g) Ejections: Any play, coach or fan that is ejected from an SIJHSAA Event should be report to my office by the official and schools involved. Refer to SIJHSAA By Law: Article VIII Sportsmanship for penalities.
Member School Reminders
1) Length of Sesaon: The first day of school until completion of the SIJHSAA State Basketball Trounament.
2) Game Limitations:
*14 regular season games & (3) tournaments
*15 or 16 regular season games & (2) tournaments
*17 or 18 regular season games & (1) tournaments
*19 or 20 regular season games & (0) tournaments
* REGIONAL AND STATE GAMES DO NOT COUNT AGAINST A TEAM’S NUMBER OF GAMES OR TOURNAMENTS.
*FAILURE TO ABIDE BY THIS RLE SHALL CAUSE THE SCHOOL TO BE DENIED ENTRANCE INTO THE STATE SERIES AND POSSIBLE SIJHSAA PROBATION FOR THE SCHOOL.
3) Shootouts: Each game in a shootout counts as a regular season game not a tournament.
Greg Hale – Director
3887 Pick Road
Pinckneyville, IL 62274